Live On Air

Jan 21, 2021 | Friday Fictioneers | 30 comments

Today, it is time for Friday Fictioneers hosted by the lovely Rochelle.  This week the photo prompt is from our host Rochelle Wisoff-Fields.  Thank you for the great picture!

He stood ramrod straight with eyes not straying from the camera lens pointed their way.  She tilted her head slightly to pin him with a stare.

‘Had he really just ended their marriage in the middle of the television studio?’

Granted their mics weren’t turned on.  The cameras weren’t rolling.  But, REALLY?  She madly fought the tears threatening to flood her eyes.  She couldn’t mess up her on-screen makeup.  She swallowed hard trying to stifle the sobs.

Suddenly, his “on-screen voice” filled the room.  They were live on air.

© 2021 The Hermit Creative, all rights reserved.

30 Comments

1. Archon's Den

A new variety of ghosting. 😀

• thehermitcreative

Oh, yes! At its most public extreme.

2. James McEwan

OMG. This sums up how the public face of our TV personalities hide some despicable and vile people. (Only talking about your story).
    I have witnessed some public and deliberate hurtful remarks between couples, and as their friend I avoid showing any favouritism.
    I wish they would solve their problems- quietly.
    I enjoyed how your story did force me to take sides, I felt so sorry for her.

• thehermitcreative

Yes, I try not to show favoritism too. Sometimes it is harder than others. I had to pick her side in this one too!

3. neilmacdon

I wondered why he’d done that there. Vindictive? Or was there a necessity?

• thehermitcreative

Hmmm…I wonder! I am often surprised by my own character’s behavior! Lol

4. Iain Kelly

There had to be a fair bit of malice in announcing it just as they went on air! Nasty!

• thehermitcreative

Yes, I agree! There is definitely some malice in the air.

5. Laurie Bell

Oh I sure hope she storms out… or lays into him live of air. What a jerk! You’ve written her emotionally state beautifully.

• thehermitcreative

Thank you so much Laurie. For some reason, I imagine her to be a classy lady. And maybe the camera guy gets him back on air for her! Lol

6. rochellewisoff

Dear Kristen,

I could see someone doing this…to avoid a messy scene, perhaps. Cold and heartless. Good story, though. 😉

Shalom,

Rochelle

• thehermitcreative

Thank you Rochelle. Unfortunately, I could see it too. Avoidance at all cost.

7. Dora

Perfectly set up scene, Kristen. He seems quite cold and calculating, so maybe he’s hoping she’s going to breakdown on air, scandalize herself right out of a job. How horrid!

• thehermitcreative

This would definitely be one of my worst nightmares! I don’t like public scenes and this would press all the buttons!

8. Bear

Oh, OUCH! that had to suck! Great writing for the week.

• thehermitcreative

Yes, it would be horrible. Thank you!

9. Keith's Ramblings

Hopefully her proffesionalism carried her though, but I bet it was a very different story when the cameras stopped rolling.

My story!

• thehermitcreative

LOL. Yes, her professionalism did carry her through the taping. But afterwards all bets were off!

10. Nobbinmaug

This makes the restaurant break-up seem kind. I guess only on-air would have been worse. I like the way you went with this. Nice take.

• thehermitcreative

Thank you so much. I think I would actually prefer the restaurant break-up to this one. Of course, neither would be best! 🙂

11. msjadeli

Sounds like he’s a sadist and wants her to squirm. Good riddance to him!

• thehermitcreative

Yes, he is definitely not one I would want to keep in my life!

12. Sandi

Forget the public restaurant and fine dining where you whisper…do it right between commercial break! The new norm.

• thehermitcreative

Unfortunately, etiquette seems to have taken a downwards plunge in the new century. It is sad that this could be our new norm 🙁

13. Tannille

All about the make-up! Poor woman. I hope he gets his.

• thehermitcreative

Oh, I have to believe that he does get his. And yes, we can’t mess up the makeup! 🙂

14. liz young

That’s marginally worse than dumping her by text.

• thehermitcreative

Agreed. Although, I think I would prefer text since it is a bit more private.

15. pennygadd51

Wow, that’s quite a story! I love how you’ve taken inspiration from the body language of the couple in the prompt. There’s a great deal of emotion in your story and, as James said, it was satisfying to be forced to take sides.

• thehermitcreative

As soon as I saw the man’s stance, the story hit my brain. I definitely picked a side too 🙂